Thursday, July 15, 2010

Ode to '80s Hip Hop!

My good friend Leslie stopped by for Martinis and Spades the other night and cold shocked me speechless ('80s lingo intended). Leslie's only 30, but until LAST NIGHT we seemed to recall the same moments in history. Then suddenly the name KRS-1 came up and in an utter state of confusion she asked, "What's that? A who?"

My sleeping husband jumped up in disbelief. I thought she was kidding. I joked around and mimicked KRS-1: "Who am I? I AM HIP HOP [insert random big words, real and made up]. I thought she'd laugh and confess to knowing The Philosopher.

Nope.

"What about Whodini? Grandmaster Flash?"

Another blank stare. "I think I heard of..." Blank stare.

This is for you, Leslie: A brief look at the '80s hip hop that I listened to (and loved).

Whodini - 5 Minutes of Funk (1984)

This is the first rap song I remember listening to and reeeally liking. I loved Whodini.

Whodini - I'm a Ho (1986)

Oh my God, I would never listen to this around my parents! Loved it.

Kurtis Blow - If I Ruled The World (1985)

Never been a Kurtis Blow fan, but he was one of the very first rappers I remember.

Grandmaster Flash - The Message

Classic HIP HOP.

Fat Boys - Fat Boys (1984)

Funny and fat, yes sir... Look up thier "Human Beat Box" song.

MC Shan - Left Me Lonely (1987)

Love it!!! This is the way to make a rap love song, Plies.

Ms. Melodie - Live on Stage (1984)

Click here to see the video.
Understand, KRS-1's ex-wife SLAAAYED IT!!

UTFO - Roxanne, Roxanne (1985)

Jammin!

Boogie Boys - Fly Girl (1985)

Gold nails!! I had one. *smile*

De La Soul - Me, Myself and I (1989)

Who doesn't remember De La Soul? It's late 80s, but I had to include!

And to the man who sparked this post...

KRS-1 - My Philosphy (1987)


KRS-1 - Criminal Minded


Eric B. and Rakim - I Aint No Joke


Of course, I couldn't leave out the best rap of all time!
Eric B. and Rakim - Paid In Full (1987)

2 comments:

  1. Best post since the origination of posts. Good music never dies...
    I will be sure to represent at the reception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 80s hip hop was the best.

    ReplyDelete

Just say what you feel!