Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Ashanti Gets a Gig!

For the first time in years, I can Google Ashanti - News and something actually comes up that includes Ashanti, the singer instead of the ethnic group Ashanti.

The Encores! Summer Stars production of The Wiz, starring Ashanti, LaChanze and Orlando Jones, will open on Thursday, June 18 at New York City Center. (Previews begin June 12). Easing down the road with Ashanti's Dorothy will be Joshua Henry, James Monroe Iglehart, Christian White, Tichina Arnold and Dawnn Lewis.

The Wiz, the 1974 rock and soul musical based on the beloved L. Frank Baum story about Dorothy and her adventures in Oz, will be directed by Thomas Kail and choreographed by Andy Blankenbuehler, with music direction by Alex Lacamoire, (the team responsible for the Tony-winning In the Heights) sets by David Korins, costumes by Paul Tazewell, lighting by Ken Billington and sound by ACME Sound Partners.




Ya girl looks like she lost a few pounds for the role... And, really, there's no earthly reason for any self respecting man to wear this. Role be damned.


Singing as well as can be expected. Hey, it could be Ciara.



No, Tichina, can't play Dorothy anymore BUT she'd be the main reason I'd see the show. Is that Dawnn Lewis?

Want to hear something funny? I've been seeing Ashanti with this dog on quite a few blogs, but I hadn't really been reading the posts about her. Force of habit. So today I saw the duo again and thought, "Ashanti and that d@mn dog again...." Then, I FINALLY realized she's not being "new", she's just promoting The Wiz. Ding dong.



Source

2 comments:

  1. The most interesting thing to me about this post is Ashanti's hair. I'm wondering if I can find a similar half wig at the BSS, and can I pull it off... (LOL)

    Man if I were cuter, I'd be paid for having mediocre talent too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, she did better than I expected. Way better! I'm shocked.

    ReplyDelete

Just say what you feel!