Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust


"Left to Tell" is a page turner about the Rwandan genocide of 1994. I started reading it Sunday morning and did not put it down until I was finished later that night.

I'd had the book on my shelf for well over a year before I found the inner strength to read it. No, I hadn't even seen "Hotel Rwanda" until earlier this week; I was too scared to watch the raping and savage murders of the Tutsis by the Hutus. So, I figured that I'd start soft by reading "Left to Tell" first. Uh uh. The book was more graphic than "Hotel Rwanda", but still, I was drawn to turn each page. How sad is the story of the Genocide, which is much like what is happening in Darfur today.

But have no fear -- this book isn't about defeat. It's about family love, strength, and the close relationship that Immaculée Ilibagiza forms with God while hiding in a VERY cramped restroom with 7 other women for 91 days. It is a thoroughly compelling read. And for me, it was the quintessential example of how God can do whatever, whenever, and however if 1) it is His Will and 2) you BELIEVE.

Pick it up. You won't be disappointed.

"Left to Tell" Website

2 comments:

  1. I read this about a year ago. Powerful read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Just say what you feel!